Thursday, February 7, 2008

Picking Up Speed


I'm about one hundred pages into In The Time Of The Butterflies and I'm happy to say it's beginning to come around. I had trouble getting into the novel at first but the more I read, the more I like it. While the different narrations could be confusing at times, I like how it keeps the reader on his toes. It switches between all of four of the Mirabel sisters' perspectives and also journal entries; I find this to be interesting, for it offers a good change of pace. Thus far I have learned a lot about the struggles of the time period including the brewing rebellion against the oppressive Dominican dictator, Rafael Trujillo, and how each of the girls,(Dede, Patria, Minerva, and Maria Teresa), deal with the fiery contempt within. Author Julia Alvarez is careful not to dwell on the seriousness of matters as she takes a significant amount of time focusing on the pure joys of life: love, laughter, and family. Alvarez uses In The Time of The Butterflies to speak of the harsh reality of the time and I know it just a matter of time before her important message is revealed; I'm curious to see how this flashback-styled book unfolds itself into something even greater as I continue reading.

No comments: