Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Life is a verb."

I recently began Herland, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I am only about thirty pages into it but I can tell already that I will not have a problem getting through it. I like the idea of a civilization run by women, not that I would like to be a part of one, but because it is unexpected. So far, much of the novel has been the three main characters stating that no, this could not be a real civilization without men. ...Why not? I'm curious to see how the truth of this "Herland" surfaces and what the men discover.
While looking at some background information on the book and feminist author, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, I found a lot of quotes by her that I liked. "Life is a verb" struck me because in so few words, she has said so much. At this point, I do not know enough about the book or her style of writing to relate the quote to directly, but it can be applied to almost any situation. I think this quote is the ultimate way to live life. We have to LIVE it, not watch it go by or wait for something to happen, but take it upon ourselves to make it happen. So far, I can say that the women of Herland have done exactly this. While I do not know much about them, I do know that whatever they are doing is working if they have created their own functioning society. They have gone beyond wishing, hoping, and planning and created something magical. I came across a woman named Patti Digh's blog that I found really moving; it is called 37days. This blog is based on the last 37 days of this woman's father's life and how it should be a life lesson for each and every one of us to basically, consider life to be a verb. "Why 37 days? At some point in your life, you’ll only have thirty-seven days to live. Maybe that day is today. Maybe not. If you're stopping by for the first time, this post will give you insight into what this is all about," (Digh 2007). She also promotes her upcoming novel, LIFE IS A VERB: 37 Days To Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally. I think this is a piece of advice we could all benefit from. =)

No comments: